plastprintpack Ethiopia 2019: Ethiopia’s plastics industry is growing at a breathtaking pace
Largest importer of plastics machinery and second largest of printing and packaging technology in East and Central Africa
East and Central Africa's largest economy expected to grow by 7.8 to 10% between 2019 and 2023
Based on upbeat market developments, plastprintpack Ethiopia 2019 is to continue its success story.
“Our long term vision is to make Ethiopia the leading country in light manufacturing industry in Africa and also to achieve middle-income status by 2025” outlined Ethiopia’s State Minister of Industry Dr. Mebrahtu Meles during the opening of agrofood Ethiopia 2018.
“The country is demonstrating continuous and high GDP growth for over 14 years now. As a result, Ethiopia became one of the world’s fastest growing economies and an impressive investment destination in Africa.”
Ethiopia’s GDP increased from US$ 65 billion in 2015 to US$ 86 billion in 2018 and is expected to reach US$ 90 billion in 2019. East and Central Africa’s largest economy is expected to reach 7.6 percent GDP growth for the Ethiopian fiscal year 2017/18 (July 8 to July 7) and real GDP growth between 7.8 and 10.0 percent for 2019 to 2023. EIU / GTAI
The 3rd plastprintpack Ethiopia on 09 - 11 May 2019 at the Millennium Hall in Addis Ababa
All these are excellent pre-conditions for the 3rd edition of plastprintpack Ethiopia 2019, once again organised by the German trade show specialists fairtrade Messe. plastprintpack is Ethiopia’s 3rd International Plastics, Printing and Packaging Trade Show.
Together with its partner event agrofood Ethiopiathe show is scheduled for 09 - 11 May 2019 at the Millennium Hall in Addis Ababa.
plastprintpack Ethiopia 2019 featuring new pavilions from Germany, the Netherlands and Turkey
China, France and Italy renew their pavilions
The 3rd plastprintpack Ethiopia 2019 has lots of news for 2019. Germany, Netherlands and Turkey will be in for the very first time with official national pavilions while China, France and Italy renew their pavilions once again.
The German Pavilion is presented by the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture and the AUMA Association of the German Trade Fair Industry. The Netherlands-African Business Council NABC will set up an official Pavilion of the Netherlands and the Turkish pavilion enjoys the support of the Turkish Ministry of Trade.
After 11 Chinese exhibitors had already participated in 2018, an important Chinese pavilion is again planned for 2019. Already for the third time in 2019, adepta will lead a delegation of French companies to exhibit in an official French Pavilion. And a larger Italian pavilion is planned for 2019.
Ethiopia’s plastics industry is growing at a breathtaking pace
The Country Cluster of EUROMAP-European Plastics and Rubber Machinery confirms significant growth for Ethiopia.
- With 100% of raw materials imported (mainly from the Middle East, Europe and Asia), the Ethiopian market has great potential for exporters of plastics in primary forms. In the years 2007 to 2015, for example, imports of plastic raw materials increased by 19.4% annually, from 43 kt to 178 kt, a plus of 314%! This makes Ethiopia the second largest importer of plastics in primary forms in East and Central Africa.
- The per capita consumption of plastics in Ethiopia has grown by 13.7% annually over the past ten years, from 0.6 kg in 2007 to 2.4 kg in 2017 and is estimated to be 3.2 kg in 2020.
- Ethiopia’s plastics consumption has grown by 17.5% annually over the past ten years, from 44 kt in 2007 to 220 kt in 2017 and is estimated to be 308 kt in 2020.
East and Central Africa’s largest importer of plastics machinery
Between 2012 and 2017 Ethiopia’s imports of plastics machinery increased by 22% annually, from 12 million euro in 2012 to 35 million in 2017.
Second largest importer of printing, paper processing and packaging technology in East and Central Africa
Ethiopia’s imports of printing & paper processing technology increased by 18% annually, from 8 million euro in 2012 to 18 million in 2017.
Its imports of packaging technology grew by 48% annually, from 5 to 35 million euro. VDMA
Strong institutional support
- Ministry of Industry
- Ethiopian Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical Industry Development Institute
- Food Medicine and Health Care Administration and Control Authority of Ethiopia
- Chemical and Construction Inputs Industry Development Institute
- adepta French agrofood association
- Embassies of Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Turkey
- German Federal Ministry for Food and Agriculture
- GIZ German Association for International Cooperation
- ITA Italian Trade Agency
- NABC Netherlands African Business Council
- Turkish Ministry of Trade
- Turkish Exporters Assembly
- VDMA Food Processing and Packaging Machinery Association
Review of the successful 2018 edition
agrofood & plastprintpack Nigeria 2018 saw 2,673 trade visitors from 9 countries discussing their business with 58 exhibitors from 18 countries. 86% of the visitors were decision makers.
Thousands of B2B meetings created high satisfaction rates among exhibitors and visitors:
- 97% of the visitors recommend the show and 68% plan to invest over the next 12 months
- 93% of the exhibitors are satisfied with the event as a whole and 86% recommend the show
For full details see Show Review 2018.